8 thoughts on “According to the Dress Code

1. Fatma Al-Khaja says:

I like what you've written, in fact, it was a topic I was thinking for quite some time now… Let me add a few notes if you don't mind. I think before enforcing the rules, there should be an educational prospect first. The indecency law should go beyond the malls; it should start when a tourist first steps into the country, or even before that.

We all have the tendency to tell an individual who’s dressed inappropriately to cover up, but you also have to keep in mind that not all will listen to you respectfully, regardless of how politely you communicate with them.

I googled for some info on anti-indecency stuff and found a couple of stuff dating to a while back…

Testimonial – “Asked whether she will adhere to the mall's dress code, she said: "I really don't find it necessary, besides I don't have long or covered outfits, and the most importantly I didn't do something bad to Dubai or its people,” or with this, "I love Dubai and I like its style. But the way I dress is completely a personal matter and I don't allow anybody to educate me on what to wear and what not to wear,"

How would you approach an individual who had made such a comment? She’ll literally tell you it’s none of your business. Don’t get me wrong, for I am not judging. I blame ignorance at most point because there is no enforcement and details on exactly what is indecent, but just a poster. A security man at the mall will only go up to someone who violates mall rules if he/she receives a complaint about that individual, and let’s not forget about the famous mall scene where, “A British woman stripped down to her bikini and strutted defiantly through a swanky Dubai mall after an Emirati woman covered head-to-toe in black confronted her for wearing a low-cut shirt,” – Gulf News

As you said, ‘We live in a multicultural environment that has a lot of social values, for our social values, and decency to be taken seriously, we must enforce them’. We can’t pretend that non-locals know about them.

Education is a must before they set foot on our premises. That’s where we should start, and we need to define properly what’s indecent, and not.

Thanks again for the insightful column! Loved it.

2. Marijke says:

Great article! You are spot on with mentioning the enforcement of Courtesy Policies. The main problem here is the arrogance of people who think they don't have to abide by any rules (See the examples mentioned in the above post) Expats know very well what is acceptable and what isn't, they just choose to ignore it. I think there should be an action plan in place on how to approach women AND men who are dressed inappropriately. I sometimes wonder if some women dress that way on purpose; being a European (fully covered since reverted to Islam) I know women don't go out dressed in Europe the way they do here. I say who wants to sit and think of a plan that could be presented and ,proposed to the concerned authorities?
    I do agree with the fact that education comes first. But I also think,these signs in malls are very clear!!!

3. Fatma Al Khaja: You couldn't have said it better, it's a great idea to make the tourists aware of our culture as soon as they arrive. This may actually be included in the introductory clips run while tourists are in the airplane. Leaflets and guides should be made available not only to advertise hotels, resorts and malls but should also outline our culture and way of life.

Yet the thing is, many nationals choose not to go up to them to avoid confrontation, which is understandable. For that, we have to take it a step further and expect the malls or the authorities to devise a group of people who's job is to carry out such tasks and raise awareness rather than it having to be a task nationals undertake themselves. This way, maybe those who dress inappropriately may take this more seriously. At the end of the day, it's a matter of mutual respect.

Thank you once again for your feedback Fatma! Enjoyed reading your comments on the issue.

==========

Marijke: MashaAllah Tbarak Allah! There are numerous stories and confrontations we have personally witnessed that we have not included in this post. True, the signs are quite clear and simple to understand, however, some use the fact that they are not more visible as a justification for their behaviour. Many, when confronted, use this as an excuse, claiming that they have not seen the signs anywhere. Therefore, we thought that if they are handed the leaflets as soon as they enter the malls, they would be more aware of the dress code. Education and enforcement, that's all we need!
    Thank you very much for sharing your opinion with us, we appreciate your valuable insight!

4. jAWAHIR says:

I totally agree with this, however , i wonder what that makes me. a double standardist. I live in London were i called home the past 20yrs. I am a conservative Muslim(not sure if the term is correct) and i am always modestly dressed. I use to have total strangers calling me to GO HOME NINJA GIRL(never wore Niqab, but still called Ninja). I study, work and have a place in this society.
    i do respect and adhere to the British laws, so much so that i worked as a community officer for the 3yrs when i was in university. but couple of months ago, i was subjected to a verbal abuse from some teenage boys(well the ninja girl thing and more) and that made me angry and hurt , but a friend that i grow up with and thought understood my reasons of wearing modest dresses, cornered me and told me flat out that i wasn't fitting well with the British crowd, my dress code as a Muslim made me stood out and if i wanted to blend she said "you should wear a pair of jeans and long tops like other Muslim women and you can totally wear the headgear". i politely told her that, i was what i was and i wouldn't change for the world. and it daunted on me that i actually never explained to her fully explained to her why i wear what i wear. I took a trip to the local Islamic book seller and bought some books that explained the Islamic dress sense and why women are to cover themselves. So , i agree with your view specially the part were ppl should handout the leaflets as that would make ppl understand the reasons behind it.

5. jAWAHIR says:

SORRY, I should have mentioned your name Fatma Al-khaja, the above comment was in reply to your comment…

6. mens suits says:

right but whatever the dress code is for as long as that passed on our standards then we don't have to worry about it.

7. rush essay says:

The dress is always suitable with the occasion and there are many people that are conscious about such things. It sure has been a good experience for me to know about latest fashion trends.