12 thoughts on “Arabs Don’t Read

1. M.A.R says:

Great article, very well written. Fully agree with you on how reading can open up the mind to fresh and progressive ways of thinking. We gain insight, develop opinions, and strive towards change.

However my main concern with our people is not that they don't read, but why they aren't driven to read or enlightened enough to even want to read. That is part of a deeper underlying problem. As you said, they might not want change. But it is preheat that there is a level of ignorance and lack of hunger for knowledge. Something brought them to this point… Yet I am faithful as many of our brothers and sisters are now breaking out of that 'shell'. One step at a time, let's hope further messages like your post drives us there. Thanks for the insight. :)

2. Dubai A. says:

Thank you so much!
    I completely agree. Reading's importance is highly degraded. Out of all people, we should be a region that reads, We were the pioneers of the written word. Things will hopefully change,

3. A really nice article Dubai! And I can relate to what you say since whenever people see me reading, they say that I have too much time on my hands. I would just like to say that reading is a sign of intellecuality…and that when you choose to read something you are choosing to enrich your soul with the experiences of the Author.

4. Dubai A. says:

Thank you!
    Yes, unfortunately reading is being degraded and looked down on. Time used in reading isn't a waste at all, it's an investment!

5. Alissar Nasr says:

Let's see how many of us READ this article!
    You have hit the nail on the head, and I can feel the pounding but I have hope and more so faith in your generation…We may not change the Arab world, but it is ok to start with one Arab at a time…and somewhere down the line, I am confident the message will go rhough, the stereotypes will fall and the journey wll continue..While reading for another perspective is pertinent, it seems to me some of us forgot how much fine and how exciting reading is…
    Yalla…add this to so many of our causes and let the recruitment begin…we need soldiers for the written word…
    I volunteer….

6. Dubai A. says:

I honestly think the issue can be solved using the domino effect, as you said, one Arab at a time. The most important thing is awareness, and hopefully it will spread! It's actually a blessing to be able to read, and I pity those who don't because they're missing out on a lot!

Thank you for your feedback, and this is a battle I'm willing to fight in! Our swords will be made out of ink and our armors out of paper! For the written word!

7. #ArabsDontRead Check out my latest @SailEMagazine article if you haven’t: http://t.co/eLrnL0C5

8. Abdulla says:

There was this book that I bought and finished reading it, it was infact the first english book that I had finshed reading, it is called 'That used to be US' by Thomas L Freidman. This book got me into the world of reading books, and I'm very thankful to Sir Thomas for that.
    :D

9. Dee says:

I know how bad this will sound but it has crossed my mind as well. I agree with the Israeli military leader, but i wish I didn't have to agree. Living in the middle east I see everyday how much they take for granted the capability of thinking and pushing yourself thru reading different views and examining one's perspectives.

I really wish this wasn't the case, and though the response I always get when I bring this up is "well other countries have that problem too!" I am always left wishing that people would stop justifying their short comings by aligning themselves with other countries who are in a bad state of education and free thinking. You don't progress as a nation if you keep procrastinating your responsibilities by comparing yourself to other countries who you clearly know aren't doing well either.

10. Noor Shawwa says:

Thanks for the article. I equate reading to putting your brain on steroids. It opens the mind to new ways of thinking and facts that over time can be put together in thinking. It is equally important to do something and to reflect on the experience from doing. When we put the enlightenment from reading with the experience from doing and reflection… we can improve.

11. Kashif Ansari says:

not only arabs but the whole muslim world needs to read more and pay attention to a all round education since that is the only passport to the future. to have the passion and energy to really devour knowledge and have a lifelong affair with ideas and creativity is what each and every muslim male and female ought to have inside of them. its not about how fat your paycheck is or how successful you are. its about how much lust for learning and wisdom you have that counts. to literally tear through the books and magazines and newspapers not to mention movies and documentaries and especially the wealth of info on the internet is the duty and moral obligation of every muslim and human being in fact. it is investment for the future and will pay off one fine day when you least expect it.

12. Rizk Lina says:

We don't need to say more !!
    Read one of the major key to think and the change will be a fact!
    Thank you !