Dear Sail Readers,
As we publish our 34th issue, we are entering a new year, year 2013. A new page of our lives, new dreams, new goals and hopefully a new set of achievements. On behalf of Sail team, we wish you a happy new year and a great year ahead.
Joining our team from this issue is Fatma AlFalasi. Fatma is a young Emirati writer who reflects on social issues that relate to the youth. She writes for the “Gulf News”. Passionate about giving back to the community, works at the Dubai Foundation for Women and Children as a CSR & Resource Development Coordinator. She is a Zayed University graduate with bachelor’s degree in Communication and Media Sciences. Part of the Women’s Museum UAE team. She joins us through her column “Young Social Eyes” in which she aims to share her social experiences as a young Emirati and reflect her generation’s views.
We would also like to invite you to 2 solo exhibitions by our team:
- The first exhibition is for our “Modern Philosophies” columnist Khaled Bin Hamad: The first Emirati Sci-Fi graphic novel titled as “Nasser’s Secrets”. The exhibition will be opening on Monday the 14th of January, 2013 in The Cartoon Art Gallery in AlQouz.
- The second exhibition is for our Head of Creative team Fatma AlHashemi: “6 PM in Dubai”. The exhibition will be opening on Tuesday the 15th of January 2013 in Momentum, DIFC, Gate 3.
Here is our content’s listing for January 2013 – Issue #34:
- Art Of Living 101 – Remember Me, The Little Voice in Your Head?: Hamda Al Hashemi discusses how the more we ignore our conscience, the more dangerous we become to ourselves and to the people around us.
- Beyond Inspiration – Your X Factor Moment: AlAnoud AlMadhi takes an analogical approach in presenting a philosophy about life and inspiration; making a famous entertainment TV show the basis to reaching the theoretical conclusion.
- Emirati Dimensions – Dressing Our Culture: Ahmad Al Gergawi writes about the colliding worlds of pop culture and tradition.
- Mental Pondering – ‘Sugar-Coating Failure’ Theorem: Budoor AlYousuf analyzes people’s belief that ‘Failure Motivates’, in reality it doesn’t, however people have always liked ‘Sugar-Coating Failure’.
- Modern Philosophies – My Heaven is in My Heart: Khaled Bin Hamad points out the true meaning of happiness that has been forgotten and got replaced by fancy cars and expensive jewelry, after buying what we don’t need in order to impress people we don’t like with money we barely own, are we truly satisfied?
- Scenes From life – Shout It On The Mountaintops: Rawan Albina reflects on her childhood experience of performing in a musical play at the age of 16, and the importance of living your life & your dreams.
- To The Point – The Responsibility of Representation: In the world of online presence and social media, more and more people are seeking to learn about Islam from Muslims they find online. Mohammed Kazim describes the responsibility of proper representation of Islam and 3 simple ways to achieve it.
- Young Social Eyes – The Great Potential Vs The Lack of Ambition: Fatma AlFalasi writes about today’s youth that is blessed with great potential and opportunities yet lack ambition because they take everything for granted.
We hope you enjoy the reads and don’t forget to check out our illustrations by Fatma AlHashemi & Dana AlAttar.
Wishing you a blessed new year!
Iman Ben Chaibah
Editor in Chief
Latest posts by Iman Ben Chaibah (@ImanBenChaibah) (see all)
- 5 Reasons Why I Would Enroll My Daughter in Sharjah Girl Guides (@ShjGirlGuides) - December 7, 2016
- Lieutenant General Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina Passes Away - November 25, 2016
- 5 Ways Millennials Can Secure Their Future Financially - September 21, 2016