Dear Sail Readers,
As we publish our 39th issue, we are starting the summer season. Many of you will soon be going on their long awaited for summer holidays. I think in light of this, I’d only try to urge all of you to catch up with 2 things: Reading and working out. Ensure to make time of your holiday to read, widen your horizons, and educate yourselves in different domains. Also to catch up with working out, getting in shape, toning your bodies. So we come back from our holidays not all mentally grown and physically refreshed.
The best way to emphasize on this, is using a quote my younger brother has just shared with me by Will Smith:
“The keys to life are running and reading. When you’re running, there’s a little person that talks to you and says, “Oh I’m tired. My lung’s about to pop. I’m so hurt. There’s no way I can possibly continue.” You want to quit. If you learn how to defeat that person when you’re running, you will know to not quit when things get hard in your life. For reading: there have been gazillions of people that have lived before all of us. There’s no new problem you could have–with your parents, with school, with a bully. There’s no new problem that someone hasn’t already had and written about it in a book.”
Issue #39 – June 2013 in brief:
- Art of Living 101 – It’s a Mad World After All: Hamda AlHashemi writes about the thrilling story of an insane artist
- Beyond Inspiration – I’m Ok Where I Am: AlAnoud AlMadhi presents the reason why some believe they don’t have to go beyond the “ok” and why they are wrong to think so.
- The First Years Last Forever – Fine Line Between Imagination and Lying: Ayesha Al Janahi advises to acknowledge children’s imagination, stimulate it and teach them to value honesty by taking responsibility that will help them see the fine line between lying and imagination.
- Hidden Promises – Beastly: Alia AlHazami believes that our world changed and caused many to change, join her in her article as she discusses what changed us.
- Mental Pondering – The “B+” Hack: Budoor Al Yousif tells us about the human brain and how it plays many tricks on us; one of those tricks is how we react to positive and negative experiences. The good news is by analyzing the brain, we can actually hack it!
- Modern Philosophies – Can We Predict The Future?: Khaled Bin Hamad questions if we can predict the future? It’s a question that’s been asked since the beginning of time. Every person in the world, at some point in his/her life, thought about that question and imagined how it will be if he/she knew the answer. Let’s find out if that is possible or not.
- Notes of The Night – Sheep: Mustafa Abbas discusses in depth, the characteristics of (and differences between) the two kinds of personalities that most of us fall into: leaders and followers.
- Of Ships and Kings – Hidden Gems: Omar Al Owais reflects on his experience in visiting the “Natural History Museum and Wildlife Park” and compares it with the likes of it abroad.
- Tifosi – Planning And Its Importance In The Football World: Khalifa AlHajeri tells us about two football teams, where they were and how they reached eventually to one of the most major games in the history of sports.
- To The Point – Lack of Conscience in Positions of Authority: Mohammed Kazim describes how there seems to be a lack of conscience in positions of authority and its negative impacts. He then offers 3 reminders that can aid in reviving this conscience.
- Too Blunt For Words – Absenteeism: Fatma AlKhaja describes what is absenteeism, how to find the pattern of it in your team, and what to do about it as a manager.
Enjoy our reads, and don’t forget to check out our illustrations by our creative team: Anood AlMulla, Dana AlAttar, & Maryam Zainal.
To keep up with our monthly published issues and to know about any of our coming events, make sure you register with us by clicking here.
Iman Ben Chaibah
Editor in Chief
Latest posts by Iman Ben Chaibah (@ImanBenChaibah) (see all)
- 5 Reasons Why I Would Enroll My Daughter in Sharjah Girl Guides (@ShjGirlGuides) - December 7, 2016
- Lieutenant General Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina Passes Away - November 25, 2016
- 5 Ways Millennials Can Secure Their Future Financially - September 21, 2016