Students may choose to enroll in summer courses to move ahead in their studies, here are simple tips that may help you ace your summer course during the holy month of Ramadan.
At the end of a spring semester, students may choose to continue taking courses during their summer holidays. The duration of these courses differs from a university to the other, due to their policies. However, this year in the United Arab Emirates a lot of universities have decided that summer courses will be held during the holy month of Ramadan. Usually, students apply for summer courses due to their short duration. Furthermore, some students may prefer to give one or two courses their complete concentration and move ahead in their curriculum. However, as this year summer courses are held during the holy month of Ramadan, students may face difficulties to manage their summer courses, due to several factors; such as fasting during the day, time management, and Ramadan’s spirituality.
Time management is crucial to students attending summer courses, as a course curriculum of a whole semester is being taught during one month. Therefore, students are advised to manage their time during this month by assigning enough time to complete their assignments; while, also ensuring their ability to enjoy Ramadan’s vibes with their families. Muslims usually perform special additional spiritual activities during this holy month; therefore, they are advised to attain their spiritual goals despite the difficulties, using time management.
There are some suggestions that might help you manage your summer courses during Ramadan:
- Reduce your intake of any habitual morning drink such as coffee in the prior week of Ramadan. As coffee contains caffeine which can be a migraine trigger, as it is composed of vasoconstrictive that narrows blood vessels and restricts blood flow, (National Headache Foundation, 2009).
- Acquire at least 7 hours of sleep during the night.
- Avoid staying up until suhoor time, instead, wake up for suhoor, for example, an hour before the morning prayer call.
- During suhoor, consume a meal that will keep you energized during the day, as you need to concentrate during the lectures.
- Drink enough water after you break your fast and across the night before the morning prayer call, as an individual needs 2.2 liters of water per day to stay hydrated, (Mayo Clinic, 2017).
- Have a look at the course material a week before the start of the summer course.
- Plan out your daily study hours and the material you will be covering.
- If a research paper is assigned, begin writing it from the first week of the summer course, as you will avoid being pressured before the submission date.
- Plan out Ramadan’s spiritual rituals you will be performing. For example, reading the Holy Quran.
- Lastly, always make time for your family and enjoy Ramadan’s Vibes.
Mayo Clinic. (2017). Nutrition and healthy eating. Retrieved May 24, 2017, from Healthy Lifestyle: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/water/art-20044256
National Headache Foundation . (2009, July 24). Does Caffeine Trigger or Treat Headaches? Retrieved May 22, 2017, from National Headache Foundation : http://www.headaches.org/2009/07/24/does-caffeine-trigger-or-treat-headaches/
In her column “The Oblivion” she covers topics in world issues, theories and philosophical topics.
Latest posts by Hamda Yaser Al Awadhi (see all)
- 10 Ways You Can Manage Your Summer Course Studies During Ramadan - June 8, 2017
- The Role Of 3D Printing In Medicine - March 19, 2017
- New Year’s Resolution Or Theme Based Year, How Can You Plan Your Coming Year? - December 31, 2016