6 thoughts on “A Question of Culture and how Expats are Living in the UAE

1. Mona AlAbdulrazzaq says:

Interesting how you are analyzing the gaps in cultural understanding and it's reason,you addressed key issues on several parties .I came back yest from Abu Dhabi ,during my short staying I asked my self where are the Emiratees and why I did not get a chance to interact with them although I know well how sweet and warm they are .the only chance was in the airport and I saw the positive and warm welcoming from the officers there.I agree with you it require pro activity and serious initiatives to build the bridges .

2. an expat says:

It's great that government and people, organizations take care to promote Emirati heritage among expats. But when I saw the title of this article I thought it would talk about teaching young Emiratis their culture. It seems to me that quite a lot of Emiratis constitute their noble culture (good manners, moral values, history, language, modesty and dignity in dress, humbleness) with nationalism and fake patriotism: "Proud to be Emirati" while littering, being arrogant, vein, coveting Western brands and lifestyle.

3. Mohammed Kazim Mohammed Kazim says:

Great piece could not have said it better. I love reading ur thoughts on such matters

4. Nadine says:

A good read!

I see alot of the western expats living the life not interested in the least wanting to learn about Emirati culture, religion or to even socially integrate.! Maybe they think they have earned this position of pride since the Western expats are treated so much better in comparison to the South Asians expats?

I think as you correctly pointed out, part of the problem has to lie at your doorstep. I have visited the UAE on numerous occasions. Never have I had interaction with an Emirati apart from the airport! I am a sociable person..open to conversation. I see the Emirati's in the mall, at Dubai Ladies Club but there is no interaction whatsoever! Is there a fear of the "other"?

5. Nadine says:

A good read!

I see alot of the western expats living the life not interested in the least wanting to learn about Emirati culture, religion or to even socially integrate.! Maybe they think they have earned this position of pride since the western expats are treated so much better in comparison to the South Asians expats, who I am sure are more respectful of your culture?

I think as you correctly pointed out, part of the problem has to lie at your doorstep. I have visited the UAE on numerous occasions. Never have I met an Emirati apart from the airport! I am a sociable person..open to conversation. I see the Emirati's in the mall, at Dubai Ladies Club but there is no interaction whatsoever! Is there a fear of the "other"?

6. Nadine says:

Sorry got posted twice. !!