November is finally starting with all its galore. It’s the month of two main events in UAE: Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF) and AbuDhabi Art Fair. This is the 33rd year the SIBF is running. I still remember when I was a kid and my father used to take us there to get our books stock for the year, as bookshops weren’t exactly as wide spread as they are nowadays. I used to be so fascinated by this fair, actually, I still am! I get excited months before it starts, and I begin to plan my agenda around its schedule of events, ensuring I go few times to get the most of it, browse the new and old books available, and buy my pick. This is one ritual I don’t think I’ll give up in my life, because till date, nothing beats the feeling of being in the middle of books and people who love books and reading. It often feels like finding home within home.
SIBF will open its door to the public on 5th November and will bid us a farewell on the 15th, so make sure you make the most out of it, you’d be surprised what you can find there! Post on your social media your SIBF finds, and tag us so we can be part of it. Our 4th anniversary prints will be available in Knowledge Without Border’s stand in SIBF, make sure you get your copy if you don’t already have one.
I’m honored to announce the joining of two new sailors to the team, bringing along with them amazing content and knowledge:
Abdulla Al-Wahedi: Abdulla holds a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Master’s in Business Administration, and long experience in telecom and properties. His abstract passion for history and literature with a hint of photography adds to his noble enduring quality. Abdulla enjoys visiting museums, art exhibitions and likes to spend his spare time in the outdoors. His column “Emirati Reflections” is a mixture of stories from the past and insights of the present, which blends and formulates his understanding of the UAE’s culture.
Haleema AlOwais: Haleema is the Director of Bin Owais Holding since 2007; overseeing construction, project management and real estate management, master’s student in Urban planning in the AUS with a two-year stint in Sharjah TV. Unconventional working mother, avid traveller, introverted bookworm, background in psychology, a great believer in the need for a continuous soul-searching and self-discovery. Her column “Bringing Out the Rumi in You” will be exploring the philosophical views of current societal paradigm shifts, revelations and everyday experiences.
I hope you enjoy their columns as I’ve enjoyed hearing about their column ideas from them, and reading their first drafts.
And now to our 56th issue for the month of November 2014:
- Interview with Saleh AlBraik, The Man Behind ThinkUp – Part 2: In this part of our interview with Saleh, we get to know more about Saleh himself, and his reflection on his journey so far.
- Feature – Mubadala’s Youth Forum: Alia AlHazami attended Mubadala’s Annual Youth Forum and shares her experience with us.
- Beyond Inspiration – Going Undercover As Fashionista: How AlAnoud AlMadhi’s experience as an undercover ‘fashionista’ changed her appreciation for fashion and the realization that its use as a self-expression could contribute to the economy.
- Bringing Out The Rumi In You – Choose What You Love: Haleema AlOwais talks about the shift in the society towards self-owned businesses rather than safety of the stable salary.
- Emirati Reflections – A Glimpse Of The Past: Abdulla AlWahedi takes us on a walk down memory lane with his visit to one of Dubai’s old grocery stores, and the story behind its owner.
- Habillez Moi – Technological Innovation in Fashion: Reem AlSuwaidi studies how technology improved prospects in fashion.
- Mental Pondering – Bang Bang! Kill Emotional Triggers: Ever wonder why a sound or a smell triggers emotions or revives memories? Budoor AlYousuf researches into emotional triggers and their effect on our lives.
- Pocket Full of Books – Book Review: The Samurai’s Garden: Maitha AlMuhairi reviews Gail Tsukiyama’s book “The Samurai’s Garden”.
- The Heart of Making – The Heart of Making: The Jeweler: Moza AlMatrooshi recounts the learning process of how to produce jewelry pieces by hand.
- The Words Within – More Choices, More Problems: Many believe they are fortunate to have a wealth of options available at their fingertips, but can this abundance actually be a burden for some. Bahar AlAwadhi explores this topic and offers tips on overcoming the challenges of having too many options!
Hats off to our incredible editorial team: Aida AlBusaidy and Dhabya AlMuhairi. Enjoy our reads, and don’t forget to check out our inspired artworks by our talented creative team: Dana AlAttar, Hayat AlHassan, Marwa Fuad, led by Maryam Zainal.
To keep up with our monthly-published issues and to know about any of our coming events, make sure you register with us by clicking here.
Help us spread the word about the magazine and share the articles with your friends!
Iman Ben Chaibah
Editor in Chief
Latest posts by Iman Ben Chaibah (@ImanBenChaibah) (see all)
- 5 Reasons Why I Would Enroll My Daughter in Sharjah Girl Guides (@ShjGirlGuides) - December 7, 2016
- Lieutenant General Khamis Mattar Al Mazeina Passes Away - November 25, 2016
- 5 Ways Millennials Can Secure Their Future Financially - September 21, 2016